Android 5.0.1 Lollipop has become available for Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500) in Russia and those who own a Galaxy S4 should receive the OTA notification. The update is still unavailable on the Kies server.
The update weighs 1049 MB and Samsung was forced to delete some of its preinstalled apps like Google Play Books, Movies and others in order to make space, but the apps can still be downloaded from Play store.
The update can be installed at the moment thanks to the XDA contributor AL_IRAQI, who has managed to capture the official update and has shared the download link for the Russian Lollipop firmware. This Android Lollipop firmware with build I9500XXUHOA7 can be flashed using the Odin flashing tool.
For those who are interested in updating their device to Android 5.0.1 1 I9500XXUHOA7 Lollipop official firmware, here is a quick guide on how to do it.
- Install proper USB drivers for your Galaxy S4 on the computer.
- Create a backup of all the data of the phone using any custom recovery.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> Developer Options>> check the USB Debugging option.]
- Your Galaxy S4 should have above 80% battery charge.
- The device should be factory unlocked.
- The phone will lose custom ROM once the stock update is installed. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
- Your Galaxy S4 will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
- Android 5.0.1 Lollipop I9500XXUHOA7 works only with Galaxy S4 I9500. As flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model numberand then install firmware based on the model number.
How to install official Android 5.0.1 Lollipop I9500XXUHOA7 update on Galaxy S4 (I9500)
Step-1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using any extracting tool
Step-2: Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v.3.09.exe with a few other files
Step-3: Power off the Galaxy S4
Step-4: Enter into Download Mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Down buttons together
Note: Ensure that you have installed the proper USB drivers installed on your PC.
Step-5: Launch Odin as Administrator on the computer. Click on the Odin tool then right-click and select Run as Administrator from the drop down menu
Step-6: Connect the S4 to the PC using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn light blue with the COM port number. This step might take some time
Step-7: In Odin select the files in the following order
- Tap on theBL button and select BL_I9500XXUHOA7-CL3943544_QB3767100_REV00-user_low_ship.tar.md5
- Tap onAP button and select AP_I9500XXUHOA7-CL3943544_QB3767100_REV00-user_low_ship.tar.md5
- Tap onCP button and select CP_I9500XXUHOA7-CL3943544_QB3767100_REV00-user_low_ship.tar.md5
- Tap onCSC button and select CSC_SER_I9500SERHOA7_ CL3943544_ QB3767100_REV00-user_low_ship.tar.md5
Step-8: Enable Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes in Odin. Ensure Re-Partition checkbox is not checked
Step-9: Double check everything and click the Start button in Odin
Step-10: The installation should start now. It would take about five minutes to complete the installation. Once the process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. When you see the home screen on the phone, disconnect the phone from the computer
Your Galaxy S4 should now be running I9500XXUHOA7 official build based on Android 5.0.1 Lollipop. Navigate to Settings>> About phone to verify the Android version of the handset.